Sharing a meal with friends and family is one of the great joys of life. When you start introducing foods to your new baby it can be easy to forget this and you can start going down a path that leads to stress resulting in mealtimes being unpleasant for all concerned. Have a look at this blog about the psychology of eating, its got some great ideas.
Helping your child develop healthy eating habits is a great gift to give them for life.
Some tips I’ve learnt over the years:
- eating is a social interaction, try to always eat together as a family
- involve your child in food preparation from an early age. Teach them to cook, set the table, decorate plates of food
- avoid stocking the foods you don’t want your child to eat regularly
- remember kids need sometimes to try new foods 10-20 times before they accept that food
- try having family meeting once a month to discuss: future holidays, household chores, pocket money, school, day care etc: plan the agenda and the menu together
- Check out this great website raising children healthy eating habits